A dental crown can serve many purposes. Wesley Dental uses it as a restorative dentistry treatment and a cosmetic dentistry treatment. It is a common and essential dental treatment to help maintain the integrity of a damaged or weak tooth. Dr. Scott Marshall can provide a custom dental crown in Greenville, TX using quality materials and advanced technology.
What is a Dental Crown?
A dental crown is a customized cap that covers a damaged or weakened tooth. The purpose of this cap is to restore the tooth’s shape, strength, and functionality. We can craft a tooth crown from several materials however we use porcelain.
A dental crown is created from impressions of the patient’s teeth. Then it is cemented into place. It contributes to functional and cosmetic aspects, offering a durable solution for tooth restoration.
Why Do I Need a Dental Crown?
- Tooth Decay: If your tooth has significant decay and your dentist cannot effectively treat it with a dental filling, we will use a dental crown. It will restore the tooth’s structure and protect it from further damage.
- Large Fillings: If your tooth has a large filling that encompasses a significant portion of the structure, we may suggest a crown to provide additional support and prevent fractures.
- Fractured or Cracked Tooth: Teeth with fractures or cracks may require the stability and protection that a tooth crown provides. A crown can hold the tooth together and prevent further damage.
- Root Canal Treatment: After a root canal procedure, your dentist will place a dental crown to protect the weakened tooth, restore its strength, and seal it against bacteria.
- Cosmetic Enhancements: We may suggest a dental crown for cosmetic purposes. They can improve the appearance of teeth with severe discoloration, irregular shape, or significant wear. They provide a natural and aesthetically pleasing result.
- Misshapen or Disproportionate Teeth: Your dentist can use a dental crown to correct the shape or size of misshapen or disproportionately small teeth, enhancing overall dental aesthetics.
- Tooth Wear: Teeth grinding or worn down teeth may need dental crowns to rebuild and strengthen the teeth.
- Replacement of Large Fillings: When large fillings wear down over time, the tooth may become vulnerable to fractures. A tooth crown can replace the dental filling and protect the tooth.
- Prevention of Tooth Breakage: Teeth at risk of breaking due to factors like a weakened structure or compromised enamel may benefit from the protection offered by a crown.
The Benefits of a Dental Crown
Dental crowns offer various benefits. They are a versatile dental treatment, and dentists often recommend them. Here are some key advantages of dental crowns:
- Prevent further damage to a tooth
- Seal out bacteria
- Improve the appearance of the tooth
- Make the tooth stronger
- Prevent the progression of tooth decay
- Offer long-term durability (compared to teeth bonding)
- This prevents the need for an extraction
- Makes the tooth functional again
- Restores the structure of the tooth
The Dental Crown Procedure
The dental crown process typically spans two appointments at our Greenville, TX office. During your exam and consultation appointment, we will explain what to expect at these appointments. The first one will involve preparing the tooth and taking impressions. The second appointment will focus on placing your permanent dental crown. The procedure aims to restore the tooth’s strength, functionality, and appearance while providing a durable and long-lasting solution.
- During your first appointment, we will focus on tooth preparation. Dr. Marshall will remove any decay or existing filling material. If the tooth is severely damaged, he may have to build it up to support the dental crown.
- We will take several impressions of your prepared tooth. One will serve as a mold for creating your custom, permanent crown. We will send it to a dental laboratory where skilled technicians will create it. We will color-match the crown to blend in with your surrounding natural teeth.
- The other impression we will use to create a temporary dental crown in-office. While you wait for a dental lab to fabricate your permanent tooth crown to be fabricated, we will place a temporary crown. It will protect your vulnerable tooth and allow you to maintain functionality until your dental crown is ready.
- Once the permanent crown is ready, you will return to our office for the crown placement. It usually takes about 2-3 weeks. We will remove the temporary crown, and check the fit, color, and bite of the new tooth crown.
- Dr. Marshall will make adjustments to ensure a proper fit and bite. Then he will cement the dental onto the tooth using dental adhesive. He will polish it to achieve a smooth surface and natural shine.
Dr. Marshall can provide you with a dental crown in Greenville, TX if suffer from a weak, damaged, or decayed tooth. You can reach us by calling 903-270-5279 or by requesting an appointment online.